The / f / in Fan and the / v / in Van
Pronunciation Activation Pack – 30
Fan / f / Van / v /
In this Pronunciation Activation Pack we will be looking at the consonant sounds / f / and / v /.
We will look at the letter combinations that give the / f / and / v / sounds.
We will look at lots of words which have the / f / and / v / sounds in them.
Finally, we will activate your ability to hear and produce the / f / and
/ v / sounds correctly.
The / f / and the / v / sound are labiodental fricatives made by disrupting the air flow through a narrow channel formed by the lips and teeth and thereby causing turbulence.
The / f / sound on the chart is shown in blue, which means it is unvoiced, while the / v / sound is shown in green, which means that it is voiced.
Letter Combinations for / f /
This unvoiced labiodental fricative has these combinations:
PH, and GH.
Letter Combinations for / v /
This voiced labiodental fricative is only heard with the letter V.
I fear we’ll veer off the road.
/ ˈaɪ fɪə wil vɪər ɒf ðə rəʊd /
It’s your fault the vault is empty.
/ ɪts jɔː fɔːlt ðə vɔːlt ɪs ˈemp.ti /
The fan in this van is faulty.
/ ðə fæn ɪn ðɪs væn ɪz ˈfɔːl.ti /
Is a phial a vial?
/ ɪz ə ˈfaɪəl ə ˈvaɪəl /
It’s a relief to relieve my cough.
/ ɪts ə rɪ.ˈliːf tə rɪ.ˈliːv maɪ kɒf /
Problems for Students
The biggest problem posed by the / f / and
/ v / sounds comes from the fact that the only difference between the sounds is that of voicing.
In this Pronunciation Activation Pack we will be looking at a set of minimal pairs which differ only in the sounds / f / or / v /.
Resources and Activators
As with all of my English Activation Packs, this Activation Pack has valuable resources to help you activate the language in this lesson.
Download the resources from the link at the top left.
You will also find the Activators at the end of the Pack.
These will give you plenty of exercises to help you make the language in this lesson part of your active vocabulary.
Interactive British English IPA Chart
Become a Britlisher!
Sign Up Today for Your Free Welcome Pack of English Learning Material
Sign up as our 2,566th Britlisher and all of this FREE material will be yours:
- Free Pronunciation Activation Pack – To see how you can quickly improve your pronunciation
- Irregular English Verbs Activator – Activate 170 Irregular English Verbs
- The Pig – Poem to help you with the rhythm of English
- Daffodils – A poem to help you with the rhythm of English
- Sheeple – Exclusive Britlish Material to help you learn vocabulary
- Down in the Dumps – A comic to help learn some idioms
- A Child’s History of England Part 1 – Listen to Richard reading Chapter 1
- A Child’s History of England Part 2 – Listen to Richard reading Chapter 2
- Level Tests – 5 Flash-based level tests to test your level of English from A1 Elementary to C2 Proficient
- Up To – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- On – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Under – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Farm Animals – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Much Choice Many Choices – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Fuzzy the Bear – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- How to Be Happy – A Flash-based exercise in happiness
Britlishers also receive the Britlish Newsletter with news about new innovative English material posted every week on Britlish.