The / tʃ / Sound in Chin.
Pronunciation Activation Pack – 26
chin / tʃ /
In this Pronunciation Activation Pack we will be looking at the consonant sound / tʃ /.
We will look at the letter combinations that give the / tʃ / sound.
We will look at lots of words which have the / tʃ / sound in them.
Finally, we will activate your ability to hear and produce the / tʃ / sound correctly.
The / tʃ / sound is an unvoiced postalveolar afficate made by blocking the air flow with the tip of the tongue behind the alveolar ridge with the front of the tongue bunched up towards the palate.
The air is released over the sharp end of the teeth to cause high-frequency turbulence.
The / tʃ / sound on the chart is shown in blue, which means that it is unvoiced.
Letter Combinations for / tʃ /
The consonant sound / tʃ / has the following letter combinations:
CH, TCH, TI, and TU
TEO and C.
I have a question about the chain you fetched.
/ ˈaɪ həv ə ˈkwes.tʃən ə.ˈbaʊt ðə tʃeɪn ju fetʃt /
Righteous Charles chose a choice chunk of cheddar cheese.
/ ˈraɪ.tʃəs tʃɑːlz tʃəʊz ə tʃɔɪs tʃʌŋk əv ˈtʃe.də tʃiːz /
The latch on my watch chain from China is scratched.
/ ðə lætʃ ɒn maɪ wɒtʃ tʃeɪn frəm ˈtʃaɪ.nə z skrætʃt /
The furniture of choice to play a cello is a chair.
/ ðə ˈfɜː.nɪ. tʃər əv tʃɔɪs tə ˈpleɪ ə ˈtʃe.ləʊ z ə tʃeə /
Problems for Students
One of the biggest problems posed by the / tʃ / sound is when it is contrasted with the / ʃ / sound and particularly when either sound comes at the beginning of words.
Words which begin with ch or sh are a particular problem.
In this Pronunciation Activation Pack we will be looking at a set of minimal pairs which differ only in the sounds / tʃ / or / ʃ /.
Resources and Activators
As with all of my English Activation Packs, this Activation Pack has valuable resources to help you activate the language in this lesson.
Download the resources from the link at the top left.
You will also find the Activators at the end of the Pack.
These will give you plenty of exercises to help you make the language in this lesson part of your active vocabulary.
Become a Britlisher!
Sign Up Today for Your Free Welcome Pack of English Learning Material
Sign up as our 2,566th Britlisher and all of this FREE material will be yours:
- Free Pronunciation Activation Pack – To see how you can quickly improve your pronunciation
- Irregular English Verbs Activator – Activate 170 Irregular English Verbs
- The Pig – Poem to help you with the rhythm of English
- Daffodils – A poem to help you with the rhythm of English
- Sheeple – Exclusive Britlish Material to help you learn vocabulary
- Down in the Dumps – A comic to help learn some idioms
- A Child’s History of England Part 1 – Listen to Richard reading Chapter 1
- A Child’s History of England Part 2 – Listen to Richard reading Chapter 2
- Level Tests – 5 Flash-based level tests to test your level of English from A1 Elementary to C2 Proficient
- Up To – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- On – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Under – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Farm Animals – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Much Choice Many Choices – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Fuzzy the Bear – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- How to Be Happy – A Flash-based exercise in happiness
Britlishers also receive the Britlish Newsletter with news about new innovative English material posted every week on Britlish.