The Vowel in Owl / aʊ /
Pronunciation Activation Pack 20
Owl / aʊ /
In this Pronunciation Activation Pack we will be looking at the eighth and last of the gliding vowels / aʊ /. This is also the last of the 20 British English vowels on our IPA chart.
We will look at the letter combinations that give the / aʊ / sound.
We will look at lots of words which have the / aʊ / sound in them.
Finally, we will activate your ability to hear and produce the / aʊ / sound correctly.
Letter Combinations for / aʊ /
This gliding vowel sound is the vowel sound with the fewest letter combinations, being formed from only:
OU and OW.
How loud the owls shout about the house!
/ ˈhaʊ laʊd ði aʊlz ʃaʊt ə.ˈbaʊt ðə ˈhaʊs /
No mouse would scout this owl’s mouth.
/ nəʊ maʊs wʊd skaʊt ðɪs aʊlz maʊθ /
Foul louts shout and scowl around the town.
/ faʊl laʊts ʃaʊt ənd skaʊl ə.ˈraʊnd ðə taʊn /
How now brown cow?
/ haʊ naʊ braʊn kaʊ /
Problems for Students
There are two vowel sound which have the potential to cause confusion with the / aʊ / sound. These are the / ɔː / and the / ɑː / sounds.
I looked at the minimal pairs / ɔː / vs / aʊ / in Pronunciation Activation Pack 8 – the Vowel in Horse, so I will not cover it in this lesson.
In this lesson, I will look at the / aʊ / vs / ɑː / minimal pairs.
Resources and Activators
As with all of my English Activation Packs, this Activation Pack has valuable resources to help you activate the language in this lesson.
Download the resources from the link at the top left.
You will also find the Activators at the end of the Pack.
These will give you plenty of exercises to help you make the language in this lesson part of your active vocabulary.
Become a Britlisher!
Sign Up Today for Your Free Welcome Pack of English Learning Material
Sign up as our 2,566th Britlisher and all of this FREE material will be yours:
- Free Pronunciation Activation Pack – To see how you can quickly improve your pronunciation
- Irregular English Verbs Activator – Activate 170 Irregular English Verbs
- The Pig – Poem to help you with the rhythm of English
- Daffodils – A poem to help you with the rhythm of English
- Sheeple – Exclusive Britlish Material to help you learn vocabulary
- Down in the Dumps – A comic to help learn some idioms
- A Child’s History of England Part 1 – Listen to Richard reading Chapter 1
- A Child’s History of England Part 2 – Listen to Richard reading Chapter 2
- Level Tests – 5 Flash-based level tests to test your level of English from A1 Elementary to C2 Proficient
- Up To – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- On – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Under – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Farm Animals – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Much Choice Many Choices – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- Fuzzy the Bear – Study pack to go with the video English lesson
- How to Be Happy – A Flash-based exercise in happiness
Britlishers also receive the Britlish Newsletter with news about new innovative English material posted every week on Britlish.